Friday, February 7, 2014

Perm and Buddha.

So….  I know I haven't written much since we've been here in Thailand.  Seems like so many other things are priority…. but I promised to blog real fast before I squeeze in a tiny nap. :)

2 days ago I made an appointment with the hair stylist nearby.  For a PERM!
Yes… I  DID just say that!  hahaha

I need to leave my hair down everyday here, 'cause I have to wear my bike helmet everyday (and up-dos just won't do).  So I thought it'd be fun and easy to have a little curl.

Anyway….
As you can imagine, my Thai is pretty limited (to say the least).  But I showed up today at 8am… and we started in on the process of a perm.
I'll spare you all the details of our "broken-communication/hair dresser never brushed wet fine hair before- drama", but toward the end……  it was amazing!  And I knew why the Lord had me go THERE of all places.

I'm always praying Exodus 2 for our future….. that where ever the people are crying out to the Lord for deliverance….. there He would send us!  And today…. I didn't expect that my hair lady would be one of those crying out!

I took many risks in my interaction with her.  I mentioned things in Thai that may not be appropriate to normally talk about.  And she received the questions, and also mentioned some taboo things as conversation pieces.  For instance… she brought up politics…. and so I dared to ask how the king might feel about all the unrest.  Its taboo for her to talk about the politics, and its taboo for us to talk about the king.  But she allowed the question, and answered with respect.  I felt really honoured that she felt like I was a safe person to talk to about these things.  You see, where we are…  its just really not appropriate to mention these things.  And for safety reasons, I will not explain why.

I pointed to a picture of a boy in a monk's robe on her desk and asked who he was.  She said her son.  So we chatted about that for a while.  Then there was silence.
And she pointed to a christmas track that my teammate had given her a month ago…and asked if I was one of those (those people).
 I told her in Thai, "yes, Jesus. I like Jesus."

She continued to tell me that he is good and she likes him too.  But she said that Buddha is good, and Islam too.
I sat in silence just listening for the Lord.  And she casually said, "they're all good, right?" as she put the track back on the shelf.  And I indicated that I understood what she said.  And she said again, "they're all good right?" and again I indicated that I understood, then she turned around and looked in my eyes and for the first time, I realized she was ASKING ME.
She said again, "they're all good, right?"
And I prayed… oh Jesus…. here it is.  What to say???
I responded…  in my very broken communication……  "I think Buddha and Islam have parts that are good.  But Jesus said he is the only correct way.  And I think that is right."

She looked at me long and hard as to wrap her mind around what I said.

Then she said, "my daughter doesn't want Buddha anymore.  She wants Jesus."  Then she said, "Buddha just says 'give me, I want more and more and more, give me more, give me more', but Jesus, he says, 'let me give you.  I want to give you'."
WOW!
Isn't that beautiful!!!?????????????
Jesus meeting her right where she is!!!??????????
The gospel is speaking truth into a life full of giving sacrifice after sacrifice to an unappeasable Buddha!

The Holy Spirit is doing a work in her heart!

Isn't it just like him to reveal a sweet truth that Jesus GIVES not TAKES.
Beautiful!
That was the end of our conversation, but I can't believe how open she is!
Please pray for her!  Maybe she is one of the first he will call to himself during our new journey here!!!!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the Holy Spirit moving in such a dark place.
~Tracy









No comments:

Post a Comment