Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I can still hear my heart beating....

I just had the strangest conversation. 
At one point I thought, "okay trace, how would Cecil respond right now?" 
I am at the coffee shop, a business man walked by, said, "thanks for smiling,"  and then did a little small talk about me being on facebook, and then put his mug down at my table and sat down.  It was just a chit-chatty sort of conversation until he started telling me about his "energy" business.  Then we talked about missions and our family being here in Vancouver, and how we receive money.  I wasn't so naive to believe he actually cared, but was rather hoping to get to sell me something.  hahaha  So thank the Lord that I wasn't as naive as I have been in the past.  Pretty soon, he said, something like... "oh my god!  I know how your church can make money!  Go to my website right now!  Its WWW....." 
I opened my laptop....
stopped and respectfully said something like, "you know, sir......  we can chat if you'd like, but I really need to focus on other projects I'm working on, on the computer, rather than talk about this investment."  (Even that sounds a little more harsh than how I really said it.  I was gentle.)
So we spent the next few minutes, that seemed like an eternity.... chatting about missions etc.  And I asked him, "What do you think about Jesus?"  And pointed to my bible on the table. 
He said something that I recognized was very rehearsed.  He said, "Oh Jesus is fantastic.  He is my Lord and Savior." 
And I wasn't convinced.  I said, "what makes you think that?  Do you have any verses to support that idea?" And again I pointed to the Bible. 
He said, "oh I don't do that.  I don't need to read or have evidence.  I meditate.  Jesus is fantastic.  Allah...... meditation... all of them." 
So I asked him something that I wouldn't have asked had I not spent at least 7+ hours studing Hinduism this month.  I asked,
"Are you Hindu"?
And he said, "oh yes."  Very enthusiastically.  And then he proceeded to tell me that he follows all the ways.  And then asked me about myself.  And I courageously told him I follow only Jesus. 

He asked me what my most miraculous experience as been with Jesus. 

I thought for a moment.  And I said the most miraculous thing that I experience daily with Jesus is that because the Word of God is "alive and powerful, sharper than any double edge sword, able to discern the thoughts and intents of my heart"... when I read it, it convicts my heart.  God uses it to illuminates the my sin, and then His Holy Spirit convicts me of where I need to repent.  Then the transformation happens through His power, not because of any effort of my own. He transforms me into the image of his son, Jesus. 

He told me that he has meditated to the point of entering "oneness" with the Universe.  And then he leaned across the table and stared intensely.  I asked him what he thinks about when he meditates, because I was reminded of the verse, "...and on your WORD I will meditate both day and night" and he said, "oh god, I don't think of anything!  You can't meditate by thinking of something!" 

Anyway...... that was pretty much it.  He ended up shaking my hand, moving to another table, and talking to another woman about politics. 

My heart was racing. 

I was thankful for 3 things and was exhorted in my Spirit toward something...

I was thankful that I knew a little about Hinduism to engage him using his-own worldview terminology.
I was thankful that I wasn't deceived by his "employment" scheme or zealous "following all ways is fantastic" perception. 
I was thankful I wasn't intimidated by his intense stares.
And
I was exhorted by the Holy Spirit 1 Peter 3:15- "be ready to always give a reason for the hope..."
I need to be EVEN MORE prepared for conversations like that. 
That man pursued a conversation with me.  For his own gain.
And although at times, I was uncomfortable, I feel like the Holy Spirit was victorious to use me in whatever way he wanted.  I didn't cower.  I engaged the conversation about Jesus..... unashamed.  And respectfully. 

So since I wrote that last sentence.... another woman sat down behind me and talked to me about California and a "Secret society" event she wants me to go to soon. Evidently, she can't tell me the name of the place, or the address, but I have to go with her, I can't go by myself.  I have to go with someone who is already in.

What the heck.... I feel exhausted. 

Another woman just walked past, pointed at my bible, and said, "excellent book".  I agreed. 

I have 1 more hour here... to "finish" my administrative work. hahahaaa I wonder who else has an appointment with me in this hour. 
What a strange day.
~Tracy

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a regular day in south Vancouver! I love it. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Brett! I definetly needed some encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! I think there are times God has these divine appointments set up to exercise our boldness as well as to speak to someone else. :) Sounds like you did well, Tracy. And then I know that sometimes the enemy can send people our way to distract and/or disturb us too. It all takes discernment, doesn't it? So glad the Holy Spirit is always with us to help and lead us. And praise Him for preparing you - for today and the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy. All I could do was laugh and think to myself, "Yup... that's Vancouver for ya!" :) You did great, Trace! Proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete