Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hell bound or Erasing Hell


                                   

So about a year and a half ago I went with a friend of mine named Arnold Mayorga to Regent College in Vancouver BC to see the showing of "Hellbound."  To be perfectly honest this film really questioned a lot of my beliefs regarding how and eternal torment.  I think it's a good thing when someone calls into question your belief because it caused me to dig deeper theologically.  
Recently I was staying up watching Netflix and came across Hellbound once again.  After I saw the film again I thought to myself, "I would love to read up on some material specifically about Hell.  The next thing you know a missionary who lives in my neighborhood--named Jay Ballou--let me borrow his Kindle and said for my birthday he wanted to challenge me to read a book a week.  I actually didn't think I would be able to but as I looked over his list I realized that he had the book "Erasing Hell" by Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle addressing the very topic of Hell.  Well, it's been a week and I devoured the book!  The Lord provided it in a very pivotal time, many questions that I had after watching the film was answered in the book.  The film called into question that the Bible actually taught about a physical Hell, the book answered that.  It also called into question whether Jesus and His disciples actually believed in the notion of a place of punishment for eternity, and the book answered that question as well.  Truth is many people feel very uncomfortable at the notion of Hell and consequently try to edit The Lord and His Word.  This is something that I would never want to do.  My deep desire is to fear God and not man.  One of the reason why I am here in Thailand is because I believe most people living in Thailand today are living away from the love and grace of Jesus and that due to their rebellion and rejection of him when they die they will not go to be with Him in eternity.  My desire is that they would know, love and trust him in this life...and in the next.

Cecil 

No comments:

Post a Comment