Thursday, May 29, 2014

Glory




“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began! (John 17:20-24 NLT)

This is part of Jesus' high priestly prayer in John 17.  Truly a phenomenal section of scripture.  I remember the first time I heard this passage preached was at a college retreat at Hartland Christian Camp.  Galen Norsworthy invited a friend of his Bert Downs, former president of Western Theological seminary, now the chancellor of Western.  He preached about how followers of Jesus have His glory...it was so impactful.  I couldn't believe it.  A guy like myself who grew up without a father, insecure, without much money or influence, could have the glory of an almighty, all-knowing everlasting God, is truly beyond me.  The scripture says The Lord  gave us this glory to be one, so that the world would know that world may know that God sent Jesus His only son, and that they may know that the Father loves them as He loves the Son.  This is amazing news.  I am convinced that it is imparative that I encourage and build up the missionaries here, those part of MB Mission and those in my realm of influence.  It truly is a battle...I meet so many missionaries who are struggling maritally, emotionally, and spiritually.  Many of them have no one to talk to...they feel all alone.  May the Spirit of God come along side them, comfort them, build them up, bring the body of Christ around them and unite them to reflect His Glory, His light.  I heard one pastor say "we are meant to be a light, that means to be a reflection of His affection."  My desire is to demonstrate unity with fellow believers and to remember this amazing concept that, in a sense, Jesus has given me his glory.

Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment