Wednesday, March 19, 2014

'Ta bom...

After 2 months of intense studying and module exam, we brought the family here, to a resort just outside of Chiang Mai.  We've been here for 4 hours.  We've unpacked, swam, ate and played hours and hours of legos.  (yes we brought our lego men).  And.... I ordered some room service.  I dialed, waited, and when he answered, I said in Thai, "hello, do you speak a little English?" and he said, "yes a little"... and so I ordered our meal in mostly Thai.  By the end of the conversation, I was speaking so much Thai... and it was starting to go so quickly.... that I sort of panicked.  It started to feel like I was running really fast and then started to trip and tumble downward.  So, to risk not embarrassing myself and say something really stupid, or start tripping up over my words, I ended quickly with a "Thank you, goodbye" in English and hung up.
I turned around to Cecil and said, "wow... I was speaking so much Thai, but then I panicked and got off quickly because I started thinking I was going to speak Portuguese!!!!" (sometimes when learning a new language, you resort to speaking some words in a previously learned language).
And Cecil chuckled and responded...  "Actually, I heard you say some things in Portuguese".  I was cracking up... and asked what I said.  And then I remembered I that he was saying, "yes m'am, yes m'am" and I was responding in Portuguese with "thats good, thats good". Our convo ended with,
him-"khrap bom, khrap bom"
me-" 'ta bom, 'ta bom"
Cecil and I were CRACKING UP!!!!!!
Good times so far.
:)
~Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment