Thursday, March 20, 2014

Norsworthy Blessing





So to be perfectly honest with you I'm not exactly sure where to start...but start we must.  I suppose I'll start from the "proverbial" beginning of the story.  Jesus got a hold of my life in a drastic way on June of 2002.  Shortly thereafter several college students who attended Laurelglen Bible Church would encourage me to attend the college Bible study that was offered at LBC.  I eventually showed up and was truly "blown away" by the dynamic and in-depth teaching of God's Word.  I found myself at that Bible study every Thursday and Saturday evening.  Galen Norsworthy was that teacher.  Since that first day my admiration and respect for this man has only increased.  Throughout the years we have continued to be in touch, though the Lord has taken our paths and ministry in different directions.  About 6-7 years ago Josh Armstrong and myself started a Bible study at Denny's on Buck Owens in Bakersfield CA, and several months into we thought we would invite Galen to join.  Since then there has been many different men come and go, but Galen has been faithful to come throughout the years.  Eventually Steve Hernandez--old friend from my Freshman year at Foothill High School--popped back into my life and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Jesus had become His LORD as well.  Steve mentioned how he worked in the oil fields and how many of the guys would love to come to a Friday morning Bible study but they work early in the morning.  As the Lord would have it Galen was available and willing to get to Denny's at 4:30 a.m. to help lead a group of men, basically completely from the oil fields, in a study of God's Word every Friday morning for several years!  Like any friendship of two people with strong opinions and wills Galen and I have bumped heads and have had some intense theological discussions over scrambled eggs and biscuits.  But there are truly very few men whom I love, admire and respect as much as he.  To this day--even living in Thailand--when I am in a difficult situation and need some godly advice from men who have, by the grace of God, walked faithfully with Jesus for many years...you better believe that Galen is at the top of my list.  I am truly blessed beyond words for a man that has a very biblically balanced life.  I see much of Jesus in the life of Galen.  I see Jesus as not being weak, passive or scared but rather being bold, courageous and fearless...I have seen that strength in Galen.  I have also seen the compassion, grace and mercy in his life that is inspired by Jesus Himself.  So today I am grateful to my LORD for my good friend and fellow brother...Galen Norsworthy.

Cecil

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Cecil! I am humbled by your words of appreciation! It has been an amazing journey, hasn't it? In so many ways, you have been like a son to me -- even down to the "iron sharpening iron" times. What a joy it is to my heart when I see how you have grown in the Lord and followed His lead wherever that path may take you (even to Thailand). Your constant striving to be the godly husband to Tracy and fatherly example to Solas and Judah is truly wonderful to watch.
    Cecil, I am truly blessed to have you in my life. Again, thank you so much for your words of love and appreciation. -- Galen

    ReplyDelete