Monday, November 11, 2013

Daniel from Starbucks



So several weeks ago I was at Starbucks off Gosford and Stockdale and there was an older gentlemen sitting right next to me who seemed to know everyone who walked through. He was a very outgoing guy and I thought to myself I wonder how he knows all these people.  I went on with my Bible study and felt The Lord prompt me to talk to him, I answered with "Lord, don't you see I'm studying your Word...besides he probably doesn't want to talk to me right now, and I have an appointment to get to shortly." Nonetheless, I felt The Lord urge me to be on mission, even at Starbucks.  So I leaned over and said, "Pardon me sir, can help but notice how you know everyone who comes in.  Are you a teacher or coach here in town?"
This began a wonderful discussion with Daniel.  The Lord has used my wife to teach me how to be a wonderful listener, and to ask the appropriate questions and the result is usually people being very open to share their life and in many cases pour out their heart.  I am still amazed at the depth of conversation I am able to go with people who I naturally don't have a connection with.  With Daniel it seemed to mean a lot to him that I was genuinely interested in his life story. I shared with him the future of my  family and how we would soon be in Thailand for 10 years.  At the end of the conversation he introduced me to a few friends of his who sat close to him.  We both promised that we wouldn't be strangers the next time we ran into each other in Starbucks.  I was so grateful to Jesus at the opportunity to hear someone's story and share a piece of the journey I'm on with my Lord.

Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment