Tuesday, March 19, 2013

UFC ministry


So...UFC ministry...what do ya think?
  Never thought that this would become a ministry or even mission field if you will. After heading out with a few guys that I recently met I discovered that hanging out at a sports bar, eating nachos, watching UFC with some guys I barely met was a fantastic way to connect with them, and it was a blast. Now I recognize that some may think Christians shouldn't be in a sports bar, and the truth is if a person struggles with alcohol and its a stumbling block for them then they shouldn't be in that environment. However, to be perfectly honost I don't really struggle with alcohol.
I believe that we Christians sometimes forget about the Jesus we worship. Allow me to articulate. We come to Jesus and we completely seperate ourself from the world around us. I notice this in my own life, the longer I was a Christian the less I hung out with non-Christians. However, when I read scripture I see Jesus crossing "acceptable religious" lines into the culture and world in which he loved. In fact he hung out with tax collectors and prostitutes so much he earned the nickname "friend of sinners." Truth is I have been honored that some of the men of Vancouver have allowed me into their lives. I believe that the Lord has a great heart for the city, and when I say that I don't just mean the beauty, buildings or landscape, I mean the individuals that live therein.
One of the major dangers that has plagued the North American Church is that we put too much of a high priority--I'd even go so far as say idolatry--on safety, security, comfort and convenience. Instead of earning the right to share Jesus with a person we figure we'd just bring them to church instead of bringing the church to them as we live lives that reflect the heart of Jesus.
So I anticipate enjoying some UFC with some guys that enjoy some action and adventure, and have my eyes and heart open to look for opportunities to share how the most exciting and exhilarating life one could have is by following the King of kings and being on mission with Him.
Pray for me...pray for motivation and boldness. Vancouver is one of the most expensive places to live on this planet. However in the busyness of life the number one problem in Vancouver is loneliness. Which is very interesting because you are constantly around people, but when the days are dark and raining, and you are isolated...loneliness comes upon you very quickly, my wife and I understand this first hand. Thank you for taking the time to read this, we certainly care about you very much.
Cec

No comments:

Post a Comment