Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hospital Language


So Tracy and I are working on getting our Visa changed from s student Visa to a work Visa.  Since its in my name I needed to submit my birth certificate, marriage license, my degrees, photos and on top of that I needed to go to the hospital to get a physical and to have them check for syphallis.
So I drove to the hospital, and I waited in my car for, I kid you not, for about 15 minutes practicing the phrase-in Thai-that I would say to the nurses and the receptionist.  The phrase in English is, "I would like to get a medical certificate for my work permit."  As I waited and practiced anxiously in the car I thought to myself, "if I was in the states this wouldn't be an issue at all."
After drilling myself I gathered the courage to practice what I had recently learned.  To my delight one of the nurses actually complimented my Thai and told me she was not a Christian but would like to visit Israel because she had been learning about Jesus and was very curious.  Right after that she drew blood and 30 minutes later I was out the door.  Seems like such a small thing but approaching a stranger and trying to communicate in a foreign language is a constant reminder of my desperate need for Jesus and it certainly keeps me humble.

Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment